- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
How has the period of the Vietnam War been portrayed in film? Forrest Gump (1) (1994) (Robert Zemeckis)
Are you in the right place?
Jump to History and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
How has the period of the Vietnam War been portrayed in film?
Forrest Gump (1) (1994) (Robert Zemeckis)
This section of Forrest Gump shows little criticism of American involvement in the Vietnam War. It presents a 'cosy' view of the war by portraying it through Forrest's innocent, uncritical, child-like eyes.
The film honours the army and portrays the soldiers as normal, decent young men who were doing their duty for America. Forrest's heroic actions add a patriotic view to American involvement in Vietnam and make the army and soldiers look brave, loyal and chivalrous. Their innocence is also shown in their will to 'get home', creating sympathy for the US.
Although 'cosy' in its view of the War, this section is also slightly critical of US involvement. The music included is often songs by artists such as Jimi Hendrix, whose lyrics are associated with the anti-war movement in America. Forrest's lack of knowledge regarding the Vietcong is suggestive to the lack of knowledge displayed by the whole army regarding the policy of containment.
The conditions of war in the film are displayed as tough and the guerrilla
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
International History, 1945-1991 (view all)
- Duality in Frankenstein
- The collapse of the USSR was caused by internal problems and...
- Explain the Importance of D-Day As a Turning Point In Ww2.
- Can War Be Justified?
- British Imperialism in India.
- How far was the Cuban missile crisis the most significant e...
- How advantageous was the policy of detente to the management...
- To what extent can Stalins emergence as leader of Soviet Rus...
- Assess the reasons for the development of the Cold War
- Compare Sources A B and C as evidence that Churchill instiga...
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.