- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
How significant do you think the opposition to the war in Vietnam was in bringing it to an end?
The first 200 words of this essay...
How significant do you think the opposition
To the war in Vietnam was in bringing
It to an end?
In a democratic society public opinion is very important, and has a strong influence on actions that leaders of that society take. Because of this the opinion of the public is a major factor in the outcome of events, but how significant an effect did it have on the outcome of the war? Some of the first objectors to the war were people who disagreed with the drafting system that decided who was sent to the war. The media had a large influence on this public opinion especially after a series of filmed raids by the Vietcong into South Vietnam, known as the Tet Offensive, raised the number of objectors. These objectors did have a large impact and this is considered to be the reason that persuaded Johnson not to stand for re-election. The objectors also seemed to be more committed than the pro-war supporters to get their view across and this is shown by the amount of protests held which were anti-war.
It is not surprising that there were objections to the Vietnam war,
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
International History, 1945-1991 (view all)
- The collapse of the USSR was caused by internal problems and...
- How has the period of the Vietnam War been portrayed in film...
- Explain the Importance of D-Day As a Turning Point In Ww2.
- Was the Korean War a Product of the Cold War tensions?
- World War One Sources Question
- How far was the Cuban missile crisis the most significant e...
- How advantageous was the policy of detente to the management...
- To what extent can Stalins emergence as leader of Soviet Rus...
- Assess the reasons for the development of the Cold War
- Compare Sources A B and C as evidence that Churchill instiga...
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.