- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
In your opinion, who is most to blame for the outcome in “On the Western Circuit”?
The first 200 words of this essay...
Dani White 11/4 January 2001
In your opinion, who is most to blame for the outcome in "On the Western Circuit"?
On the Western Circuit was published in 1984. It was written by Thomas Hardy who was known as one of the greatest novelist in the English language. He was born in 1839 and died in 1928. On the Western Circuit was taken from a collection of Thomas Hardy's novels called 'Life's Little Ironies'. A lot of Thomas Hardy's novels were viewed as negative and it would seem he had a pessimistic view on life. He thought it was impossible to find true happiness. Thomas Hardy wrote his novels in the Victorian era. At this point there were a lot of double standards and women were extremely repressed by men and society. Thomas Hardy was a realist and aware of the challenges and pressures faced by women. They had limited education, limited wealth and limited power. Society only had real respect for those women married and in a secure relationship. Hardy disagreed with Victorian values and was conscious of the difficulties society caused. In this particular novel there are themes of deception, powerless women, education, blame, Victorian values
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
British History: Monarchy & Politics (view all)
- To what extent did Henry VII reduce the power of the nobilit...
- Between 1547 and 1558 England was almost torn apart by relig...
- To what extent were the 1549 rebellions a threat?
- How successful was Wolsey's domestic administration of Engla...
- How successfully did Elizabeth I handle her finances?
- Account for the decline in trade union power, 1964-1990
- How Successful was Edward Carson in His Defense of Unionism ...
- "Asquith and the Liberals were solely responsible for t...
- Do you agree with the view suggested in source 5 that the ma...
- To what extent does the Reform Act of 1832 deserved to be ca...
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.