- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Khrushchev's Decline and Fall.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Khrushchev's Decline and Fall
The most important achievement of the XX Party Congress of 1956 was Krushchev's so-called "secret speech " in which he attacked and denouced the errors and brutalities of Joseph Stalin. No one had dared to do that before. It was the central most important event of the decade. It in effect made Khrushchev the father of the later Gorbachev Revolution.
I. The XXI Party Congress
The XXI Special Party Congress met against a background of successes for Nikita Khrushchev. He had consolidated his victory over the "anti-Party group" by removing Bulganin from the Presidium in September 1958; in December he had named as new chief of the KGB A. N. Shelepin. Khrushchev had other reasons for feeling confident. In 1958 the USSR had the best harvest in its history. In November 1958 his threat to hand Berlin over to the East Germans within six months had spread alarm in all Western capitals - though he did not carry through the threat. In January 1959 Fidel Castro had seized Cuba with strong Communist support, and thereafter identified himself with Communism and the USSR.
There had also been several significant domestic innovations
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
International History, 1945-1991 (view all)
- How far do you agree with the view that World War II trigger...
- How far do you agree that the Cold War broke out in Europe b...
- The Cold War came to an end because the Soviet bloc was fata...
- The collapse of the USSR was caused by internal problems and...
- Why Did Stalin Build the Iron Curtain?
- How far was the Sino-Soviet split of the late 1960s the resu...
- How Far was the Sino-soviet split of the late 1960s the resu...
- Factors in the collapse of the USSR.
- Assess the importance of the Economy in changing the nature ...
- How far did peaceful coexistence ease Cold War tensions betw...
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.