- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Khrushchev's Decline and Fall.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Khrushchev's Decline and Fall
The most important achievement of the XX Party Congress of 1956 was Krushchev's so-called "secret speech " in which he attacked and denouced the errors and brutalities of Joseph Stalin. No one had dared to do that before. It was the central most important event of the decade. It in effect made Khrushchev the father of the later Gorbachev Revolution.
I. The XXI Party Congress
The XXI Special Party Congress met against a background of successes for Nikita Khrushchev. He had consolidated his victory over the "anti-Party group" by removing Bulganin from the Presidium in September 1958; in December he had named as new chief of the KGB A. N. Shelepin. Khrushchev had other reasons for feeling confident. In 1958 the USSR had the best harvest in its history. In November 1958 his threat to hand Berlin over to the East Germans within six months had spread alarm in all Western capitals - though he did not carry through the threat. In January 1959 Fidel Castro had seized Cuba with strong Communist support, and thereafter identified himself with Communism and the USSR.
There had also been several significant domestic innovations
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
International History, 1945-1991 (view all)
- The Arab Israeli Conflict - source related study.
- Arab-Israeli Conflict Sources Questions
- The conclusion of the missile crisis was absolute proof that...
- The Iroquois Nation, spanning from 1400 or even 1100 A.D. to...
- "Asses the successes and failures of Mao's domestic pol...
- How far did peaceful coexistence ease Cold War tensions betw...
- The Cold War came to an end because the Soviet bloc was fata...
- German opposition to the Nazis 1939-45
- How far was the Cuban missile crisis the most significant e...
- How advantageous was the policy of detente to the management...
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.