- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Renaissance Education DBQ
The first 200 words of this essay...
The Transformation of Renaissance Education
The Renaissance is widely viewed to be an era of immense cultural change that brought about widespread educational reforms. For the first time in history, education was considered to be an essential part of a civilized society. According to popular thought of the early Renaissance, those who were educated in the Greek classics along with a standard knowledge of mathematics, philosophy and literature, would be those who would bring about the advancement of human civilization. However, as the Renaissance progressed, the popularity of education abruptly declined, and education once again became a luxury meant only for a chosen few. Renaissance education evolved from being a "guide to the true meaning of the past" and the key to a well-balanced gentleman, to a luxury "appropriate only to a small minority of men" (Document 1, Document 11).
At the start of the Renaissance, education was considered to be a necessity for all those who wished to attain some degree of status in society. Aeneas Pickling wrote in 1450 that education was the method through which to achieve the "enlightenment of the mind". In addition to the studies of mathematics, philosophy and literature, the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Other Historical Periods (view all)
- Extended Essay: Bismarck and The Unification of Germany
- Why did William win the Battle of Hastings?
- How far was the conservative government responsible for the ...
- 'Collectivisation was a political success but an economic fa...
- Short description of Epic of Gilgamesh
- How effectively did colonial governments respond to the rise...
- Gallipoli and Kokoda - comparing two battles fought by the A...
- The Roman Catholic Church was becoming increasingly unpopula...
- How accurate is it to say that the weakness of the Protestan...
- Why was Luther able to challenge the Catholic Church so succ...
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.
""Zoey. University Student.