- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
The factors that led to the downfall of Apartheid in South Africa
The first 200 words of this essay...
Brian Lockyer History essay - fall of Apartheid 34/04/08
"By 1989, South Africa was descending into chaos. The African National Congress had given the order, make South Africa ungovernable. Assess the role played by the different protest groups in the country during the 1980's as well as international pressure and discuss which played the biggest role in bringing apartheid to the end"
There were many factors that led to the downfall of apartheid; I believe that it was a combination of aspects and not just a certain aspect that led to the eventual demise of the Apartheid government. These factors can be broken down into domestic factors such as riots, protest groups, sabotage etc and international factors that include economic sanctions, the banning of South African sport teams as well as the total expulsion of South Africa from international relations as well as the fall of the Soviet Union and the end of the cold war.
The human loss of life was also another reason why Apartheid was abolished in 1990. One hundred or so people killed in mass riots or even one or two people who were tortured and then murdered, caused a lot of
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
International History, 1945-1991 (view all)
- What were the similarities and differences between the event...
- To what extent did the nuclear arms race make the world a mo...
- The development of the international economy in the period 1...
- Creative Writing - War.
- The impact of World War 1 on American society.
- How far did peaceful coexistence ease Cold War tensions betw...
- The Cold War came to an end because the Soviet bloc was fata...
- German opposition to the Nazis 1939-45
- How far was the Cuban missile crisis the most significant e...
- How advantageous was the policy of detente to the management...
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.