- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
What Was The Main Cause Of The First English Civil War?
The first 200 words of this essay...
What Was The Main Cause Of The English Civil War? [1642-1646]
The first English Civil War took place between parliamentarians and royalists over the course of four years, from 1642 to 1646. It consisted of much political conspiracy and armed contention from both sides who had encountered great difficulty in co-operating during the flawed reign of Charles I.
The war was a result of parliament's general frustration at the monarch's policies, and the influence of the conflicts in Ireland and Scotland. Parliament's ultimate aim was not to dispose of Charles I from the throne, but to pressurize and obligate the King to abide by the policies in which they desire the country to be run. Supporters of Charles were to battle against parliament, and so began the events of the civil war.
This essay will consider the causes of the civil war through events preceding 1642 from a series of different aspects. Social, political, economic, religious and military accounts will be excogitated and I will venture to find a conclusion to what I believe was the most notable in motivating the war.
Charles I was a highly introverted character during his
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
British History: Monarchy & Politics (view all)
- To what extent did Henry VII reduce the power of the nobilit...
- Between 1547 and 1558 England was almost torn apart by relig...
- To what extent were the 1549 rebellions a threat?
- How successful was Wolsey's domestic administration of Engla...
- How successfully did Elizabeth I handle her finances?
- Account for the decline in trade union power, 1964-1990
- How Successful was Edward Carson in His Defense of Unionism ...
- "Asquith and the Liberals were solely responsible for t...
- Do you agree with the view suggested in source 5 that the ma...
- To what extent does the Reform Act of 1832 deserved to be ca...
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student