- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Why did the US withdraw from Vietnam in 1973
The first 200 words of this essay...
ASSIGNMENT: MODEL A1: VIETNAM
Explain why the United States withdrew its forces from Vietnam in 1973.
America had been involved in Vietnam for many years financially and actively. The French returned to their Indo China after the Second World War and although they received financial backing from the US they were defeated by the Vietminh. In Geneva in 1954, it was agreed that Vietnam would be divided in two - North Vietnam ruled by the communist Ho Chi Minh and South Vietnam led by Ngo Dinh Diem. President Eisenhower made it clear they would support Diem as America opposed communism. In 1960, President John F Kennedy agreed to send military experts to South Vietnam as well as equipment in an attempt to stop the spread of communism. By 1968 there were 536,000 American troops fighting in the difficult conditions in Vietnam.
The main reason the US withdrew from Vietnam in 1973 was pressure from the media and the American people. The mass protests to end the war put the American government under a lot of pressure to withdraw. The media coverage provoked demonstrations throughout America. People also felt the need to protest because of increased taxes, the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
International History, 1945-1991 (view all)
- The collapse of the USSR was caused by internal problems and...
- Analysis of Political Cartoons
- The Soviet Union developed its influence in Eastern Europe i...
- Explain the Importance of D-Day As a Turning Point In Ww2.
- To what extent did the nuclear arms race make the world a mo...
- How far was the Cuban missile crisis the most significant e...
- How advantageous was the policy of detente to the management...
- To what extent can Stalins emergence as leader of Soviet Rus...
- Assess the reasons for the development of the Cold War
- Compare Sources A B and C as evidence that Churchill instiga...
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.