- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Why did the USA withdraw its forces from Vietnam in 1973
The first 200 words of this essay...
Why did the USA withdraw its forces from Vietnam in 1973? By Laura Reid
The USA's involvement in Vietnam started in 1954, for a few reasons. Firstly, the Americans were, as always, concerned with the spread of communism. They wanted to stop communism spreading through south-east Asia. They were worried that if one country were to fall to a communist leader, so would neighbouring countries. This was known as the Domino Theory. These reasons for joining the war in Vietnam and the fact that the United States did not want to appear weak were the main reasons that the USA withdrew forces from Vietnam so late, as it took from 1968 when peace talks were made with North Vietnam until 1973 when the majority of soldiers had been withdrawn from Vietnam.
There were many reasons for the USA withdrawing its forces from Vietnam: the tactics of the two armies, the strong anti-war movement in America, the change in public opinion and the one-sided media coverage.
The major turning point for most members of the USA public and government was the Tet Offensive in 1968. Before this event, the US army believed they were winning the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
International History, 1945-1991 (view all)
- The Arab Israeli Conflict - source related study.
- The Soviet Union developed its influence in Eastern Europe i...
- Arab-Israeli Conflict Sources Questions
- The Iroquois Nation, spanning from 1400 or even 1100 A.D. to...
- To What extent was Germany Responsible for the outbreak of W...
- How far did peaceful coexistence ease Cold War tensions betw...
- The Cold War came to an end because the Soviet bloc was fata...
- German opposition to the Nazis 1939-45
- How far was the Cuban missile crisis the most significant e...
- How advantageous was the policy of detente to the management...
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student
""Zoey. University Student.