- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Why did the USA withdraw its forces from Vietnam in 1973
Are you in the right place?
Jump to History and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Why did the USA withdraw its forces from Vietnam in 1973? By Laura Reid
The USA's involvement in Vietnam started in 1954, for a few reasons. Firstly, the Americans were, as always, concerned with the spread of communism. They wanted to stop communism spreading through south-east Asia. They were worried that if one country were to fall to a communist leader, so would neighbouring countries. This was known as the Domino Theory. These reasons for joining the war in Vietnam and the fact that the United States did not want to appear weak were the main reasons that the USA withdrew forces from Vietnam so late, as it took from 1968 when peace talks were made with North Vietnam until 1973 when the majority of soldiers had been withdrawn from Vietnam.
There were many reasons for the USA withdrawing its forces from Vietnam: the tactics of the two armies, the strong anti-war movement in America, the change in public opinion and the one-sided media coverage.
The major turning point for most members of the USA public and government was the Tet Offensive in 1968. Before this event, the US army believed they were winning the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
International History, 1945-1991 (view all)
- "Asses the successes and failures of Mao's domestic pol...
- Using these four passages and your own knowledge, asses the ...
- The collapse of the USSR was caused by internal problems and...
- Why Did Stalin Build the Iron Curtain?
- In What Ways Did World War One Impact American Society?
- How far was the Sino-Soviet split of the late 1960s the resu...
- How Far was the Sino-soviet split of the late 1960s the resu...
- Factors in the collapse of the USSR.
- Assess the importance of the Economy in changing the nature ...
- How far did peaceful coexistence ease Cold War tensions betw...
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.