- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Why National Security?
The first 200 words of this essay...
November 3, 2003
Why National Security?
Because of its role as a (if not the) major world superpower, the United States must carefully consider its national foreign policy goals. Although they may be carried out very differently from administration to administration, the primary goals of American foreign policy (in their most general senses) are most effective when they remain constant over time. Historically, the United States has pursued a number of foreign policy goals, but one goal has been and continues to be a primary goal of every generation: national security. Why is the pursuit of national security-the protecting of territorial integrity, including American values, lives, property, and way of life--essential to U.S. foreign policy?
The Realists point to several factors that demonstrate the importance of national security. They begin by declaring that humans are naturally aggressive and instinctively fight one another. This human tendency reveals the inevitable nature of war; thus, it also clearly points to the need for strong national security to protect oneself in times of such aggression. The Realists also point out that the world system is anarchic and that states are
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
International History, 1945-1991 (view all)
- The collapse of the USSR was caused by internal problems and...
- Analysis of Political Cartoons
- The Soviet Union developed its influence in Eastern Europe i...
- Explain the Importance of D-Day As a Turning Point In Ww2.
- To what extent did the nuclear arms race make the world a mo...
- How far was the Cuban missile crisis the most significant e...
- How advantageous was the policy of detente to the management...
- To what extent can Stalins emergence as leader of Soviet Rus...
- Assess the reasons for the development of the Cold War
- Compare Sources A B and C as evidence that Churchill instiga...
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.