- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
'Without Lenin there would have been no revolution' - David Footman, an academic British historian specialising in Russian history - The Russian Revolution (1962) - How valid is this interpretation of Footman's interpretation of the Russian Revolution?
The first 200 words of this essay...
Revolution in Russia, Civil War and the rule of Stalin, (1917 - 41)
'Without Lenin there would have been no revolution'. David Footman, an academic British historian specialising in Russian history. The Russian Revolution (1962).
How valid is this interpretation of Footman's interpretation of the Russian Revolution?
The interpretation written by David Footman suggests that if Lenin hadn't been involved there would have been no revolution.
However, there have been other interpretations by other historians such as S.A. Smith, who wrote Red Petrograd: Revolution in the Factories, 1917 - 18, (1983). This interpretation suggests that Lenin had been an important factor in the revolution, however, there had been other influences, an example being, the part played by the masses. Also, another interpretation is that the revolution occurred because of the failure of the Provisional Government, to meet the radical demands of the people, and therefore this had made it easier for the Bolsheviks to seize power.
However, we have to question the source value. Footman may have used views and sources from other historians before the 1960s. However, there are many limitations of these views. An
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Modern European History, 1789-1945 (view all)
- To what extent does Stalin deserve the title of Red Tsar whe...
- How successful were the Five- Year Plans in transforming Rus...
- Major Causes of French Revolution
- The impact of the First World War merely heightened existing...
- How successful were Nazi economic policies in the years 1933...
- Evaluate the significance of the use of tanks had in the out...
- How effective was opposition to Russian government during th...
- Assess the reasons why opponents of Russian governments were...
- Was Lenin a Red Tsar?
- Lenins leadership was the main reason for the success of the...
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.