- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
How successful was the Poor Law Amendment Act in 1834 in meeting the needs of the poor in the years 1834-41
The first 200 words of this essay...
How successful was the Poor Law Amendment Act in 1834 in meeting the needs of the poor in the years 1834-41?
Most members of the Whig Government seemed to think that the Great Reform Act was one gesture towards reform that they were trying to achieve themselves. IN 1833 the first steps of reform from the Government were introduced; the abolition of Slavery in the British Empire, Althorp's Factory Act (effective attempt at factory regulation) and the first Government grant for education. However, all these reforms had no benefits to the poor. In 1834 the Whig Government passed the Poor Law Amendment Act to help the poor in Britain. So why were the poor in so desperate need for help?
The old 16th Century system stated that each Parish was expected to look after its own poor, and it had became traditional practice for poor people unable to support themselves to be sent back the parish of their birth. The money which provided relief to the poor came from a special rate paid by the inhabitants of the parish. The poor by the old system were classified into three categories; those who could not find work also
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Information Systems and Communication (view all)
- Barriers to Effective Communication Communication is the pro...
- Explain in detail "Communication Process" and writ...
- Website Design, Creation and Evaluation
- List and describe the 11 systems of the human body, their fu...
- Possible Future Developments of the Internet. Pervasive Netw...
- Discuss the Causes and Effects of the Digital Divide
- Evaluation of an IT task - producing a holiday brochure
- Evaluation. In this unit of controlled assessment I have dev...
- Compare and Contrast Major console platforms
- E-Commerce Laws and Legislation - The Data Protection Act
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.