- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
This essay will look at communication within a healthcare setting and will give examples from literature to demonstrate the importance of communication.
Are you in the right place?
Jump to ICT and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
This essay will look at communication within a healthcare setting and will give examples from literature to demonstrate the importance of communication. It will use the work of (Ellis& Beattie, 1986) and also (Egan, 1990) as models for effective communication. It will discuss whether these models are adequate alone to enable effective communication and will also draw on personal experiences from the clinical area.
Communication underpins all other nursing interventions (Minardi& Riley, 1997). Communication is a fundamental tool for healthcare delivery (Rungapadiachy, 1999). To listen to another person is the most caring act of all, Listening and attending are by far the most important aspects of being a nurse (Burnard, 1992).
(Roper, 2001) Emphasizes communication as an integral part of the unique function of nursing.
(Peplau, 1988) used the term, psychodynamic nursing, to describe the dynamic relationship between a nurse and a patient.
Peplau described four phases of this relationship:
The orientation phase, in which the person and the nurse mutually identify the person's problem.
The identification phase, in which the person identifies with the nurse, thereby accepting help.
The exploitation phase, in which the person makes use
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Information Systems and Communication (view all)
- Barriers to Effective Communication Communication is the pro...
- Explain in detail "Communication Process" and writ...
- Website Design, Creation and Evaluation
- List and describe the 11 systems of the human body, their fu...
- The Impact of Mobile Phones on social Interaction
- Discuss the Causes and Effects of the Digital Divide
- Evaluation of an IT task - producing a holiday brochure
- Evaluation. In this unit of controlled assessment I have dev...
- Compare and Contrast Major console platforms
- E-Commerce Laws and Legislation - The Data Protection Act
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student