- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Value Creation Models
- Essay length: 6255 words
- Submitted: 28/01/2005
The first 200 words of this essay...
Value Creation Models
The Value Shop and the Value Network are two additional models of value creation. Managers need to re-think some familiar strategic insights.
The world has changed. From 1960 to 1999 manufacturing companies' share of GNP in the US, as well as its workforce, fell from 30 per cent to 15 per cent, with the consequence that such businesses are now a minority of the S&P500. Banks, transportation, building, healthcare, research pharmaceuticals and other services companies have taken over.
Strategic models of the world, however, have not changed. When managers develop strategies for their companies, they still use the tools and language of the manufacturing organisation - most commonly the concept of the Value Chain (see Figure 1 - see PDF or print), introduced by Michael Porter. His seminal work, Competitive Advantage: Creating and Sustaining Superior Performance, (Free Press 1985), argued that you could create sustainable competitive advantage by tailoring your Value Chain to your competitive strategy. A large number of prescriptions for good strategic management were developed.
The question managers now need to ask themselves is where these strategic prescriptions come from - and whether they still are valid. Does
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Information Systems and Communication (view all)
- Social Implications of E-Commerce
- Explain the legislation and legal implications of Copyright ...
- E-Commerce Laws and Legislation - The Data Protection Act
- The Advantages and Disadvantages of the First Past the Post ...
- Networking Systems. Network Cabling, Network Interface Cards...
- Information technology and the way we work
- Popularity of Social networking sites: The reasons and how t...
- Discuss the impact of ICT on cinema and entertainment system...
- Discuss the impact of ICT on the way we socialise and intera...
- Identify, possible future developments in ICT and explain th...
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.