- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Are all Supreme Court Appointments controversial and what is the significance of Bush's two most recent nominations
The first 200 words of this essay...
Are all Supreme Court Appointments controversial and what is the significance of Bush's two most recent nominations?
The Justices which make up the Supreme Court are appointed as opposed to elected and therefore they are called into question as a democratic body. "An unelected body of judges possesses the power to declare unconstitutional those legislative acts passed by the people's elected representatives." - Bob McKeever. The fact that they are not politically accountable to the people or their representatives and yet hold extensive powers makes them controversial in a country, which prides itself on being a democratic state. However, the Supreme Court provides an alternative to elected representatives who may work in their best interests, as opposed to those they represent and only hold office for a matter of years. The Justices work independently of this system and therefore it could be suggested that they make the American political system more varied. Their main functions are to resolves conflicts between states, to maintain the national supremacy and to ensure the uniformity of interpretation of national laws.
One of the main reasons the Court is so controversial is because of the amount of power they
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Machinery of Justice (view all)
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) is the name given to th...
- Briefly outline the various sentencing options available to ...
- Explain the requirements of lawful arrest and detention
- The Rain Horse By Ted Hughes.
- Non-fatal Offences?
- Access to Civil Justice in This Age of Austerity
- Expert Testimony and Its Value In the Justice System
- Describe the process by which it is decided where a trial wi...
- Describe the use of the Practice Statement using the sources...
- The approach of the courts to sentencing is far too slack. ...
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.