- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
The mathematical genii apply their Statistical Wizardry to Basketball
Not what you were searching for?
The first 200 words of this essay...
The manager of a professional basketball team is having a tough decision in choosing which of his two top scorers this season are better at free-throw shots. The final decision will go towards picking the team for Saturday's Cup Final match.
On a training session one week before the match the coach decides to "go all out" and bring some mathematical genii in to model a situation where Lee Grimes and Dominic Aspbury, the goalscorers, will shoot at the basketball net.
The mathematical genii are students from Cambridge and are benefiting from this opportunity in that they will be able to show evidence of coursework for their final exam. Their coursework will be using their abilities to collect data and "test the appropriateness of a probability model" on a real situation whilst the coach's aim will be to pick the better of the two players for the "big game."
If the random variables X and Y count the number of independent trials before the event, having a probability p, occurs then X and Y have geometric distributions:
P ( X = r ) = q r - 1 p where
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Probability & Statistics (view all)
- Which three factors affect the price of a second hand car.
- Design an investigation to see if there is a significant rel...
- I am going to design and then carry out an experiment to tes...
- Maths Cars coursework Plan
- Is there a Correlation between GCSE Mathematics and English ...
- Aim: in this task, you will investigate the different functi...
- Statistics. I have been asked to construct an assignment re...
- Statistics coursework
- Anthropometric Data
- Chebyshevs Theorem and The Empirical Rule
""Chris Mckellar. Media Studies, IT, English. A Level Student.
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.