- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Representation of gender in Primeval. Gender is represented in this extract of Primeval through the use of mise-en-scene, camera angles, editing and sound.
The first 200 words of this essay...
OCR Media exam - Primeval extract.
Gender is represented in this extract of Primeval through the use of mise-en-scene, camera angles, editing and sound. Primeval is a sci-fi TV drama and typically in Sci-fi males are seen as the dominant more active, involved in solving the problem whereas the female characters are often providing information or being saved.
True to this, the extract begins with Abbi sat in the tractor with Nick doing the manual work, he is wearing ordinary everyday clothes, t-shirt and combats which are muddy which suggests he is more involved in the work than Abbi is who is wearing more fashionable clothes which are clean. However, she challenges the typical stereotype of a weaker character when she gets more involved and saves Nick by distracting the creature when it attacks. Nick takes on Vladimir Propp's role of the typical male hero when he draws the creature away from Abbi. He is more active when dealing with the situation by running and climbing whereas Abbi is more stationary. This suggests that the female character is more prepared to tackle the situation head on whereas the male character wants to more physical in his approach.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Television (view all)
- Television - A Blessing or a Curse?
- Describe the impact of television in the 1950s and early 196...
- Delia Smith and Jamie Oliver are both extremely influential ...
- Types of documentary
- Is television a good or bad influence on society
- Discuss "Quality Television" - Lost and Sex and Th...
- Explore the male representations explored over several media...
- The Effect of Censorship on the Media in Pakistan.
- In this essay I will discuss three events: 9/11, the riots i...
- Critical analysis of "Shameless".
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.