- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The closure of the News of the World was brought about by the explosion of the phone-hacking scandal when it was revealed that it had hacked the mobile phone of MillyDowler
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Media Studies and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
It's the Reminder that Counts
Printed as headline in front pages of papers and websites around the world, Britain's best-selling Sunday tabloid the News of the World has come to its demise. The July 10 issue became the final edition of the 168-year-old tabloid as the journalists bid farewell to readers and apologized for letting them down because of the recent allegations thrown to the iconic news brand. News Corporation, which owns the paper, announced its closure after a series of controversial issues linked to NOTW.
The closure of the News of the World was brought about by the explosion of the phone-hacking scandal when it was revealed that it had hacked the mobile phone of MillyDowler after her abduction and murder in 2002 and NOTW operatives had deleted messages which made the girl's parents hope that their daughter was still alive. Parents of young murder victims Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman became targets of hacking as well. Other potential phone-hacking cases linked to the tabloid were victims of London's bombings, families of soldiers killed in war and even Michael Mansfield QC, inquest lawyer of Princess Diana. Mobile phones of celebrities and politicians had been hacked also
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Newspapers & Magazines (view all)
- Comparison of a tabloid and broadsheet article - Broadsheet ...
- Compare and Contrast These Two Newspaper Articles on the Top...
- English Coursework Text Transformation Commentary
- Explain the differences between 'Tabloid' and 'Broadsheet' n...
- Analysing Two Newspaper Articles Fronting The Same Subject
- Media Report Comparing Film and Top Gear Magazine.
- Journalism Language - Analysis of a newspaper article about...
- A brief introduction of English journalism
- Encoding & Decoding Cosmopolitan Magazine
- Womens representation in magazines - looking at Glamour and ...
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.