- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Human Behaviour 1, Explain the various approaches to psychology and the people who pioneered them
The first 200 words of this essay...
Task 1 - Explain the various approaches to psychology and the people who pioneered them
Psychology is the scientific study of the mind and it's activities, both normal and abnormal. (Collins Dictionary)
There are four main approaches to psychology. These are:
The behaviourist approach
This approach is said to have been started by Ivan Pavlov (1849-1936), J.B. Watson (1878-1958), and B.F. Skinner (1904-1990). This theory argues that all human behaviour is caused by something else. This means that 'behaviour is just a response to a stimulus'. They also believe that behaviour can be scientifically tested under reproduced conditions. This was the first ever serious attempt to make psychology into a proper science.
Behaviourism does not concern the mind, consciousness or thoughts. It is only concerned with actions. Below are famous studies that impacted on the behaviourist approach and who pioneered them.
Pavlov discovered Classic conditioning. During his research he discovered that the presence of the lab technician that fed the dogs (he experimented on animals) that the dogs salivated more, even when the technician wasn't going to
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Miscellaneous (view all)
- An assessment of how Thomas Cook meets the needs of a wide r...
- The influence of the style of European cuisine on British cu...
- Uniformed Public Services Unit 7 Assignment 2
- Personal Statement UCAS
- Paris; City of Love (English Lit/Lang Creative Writing; tra...
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.