- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
What is Love?
The first 200 words of this essay...
What is love?
By Joe Bunce
"Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and... thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these."
- Jesus, Mark 12:30-31
"Omnia vincit amor"
- Virgil, Eclogues X
"All you need is love/All you need is love/All you need is love, love/Love is all you need/Love, love, love/ Love, love, love/ Love, love, love."
- The Beatles, 'All You Need is Love' from the album, Magical Mystery Tour
From the day we are born, we are surrounded by the concept of love. Love as a connection, love as an emotion, love as a virtue: not only are we told that love is all around, but it is constantly reinforced that love is the most important thing in the world: verily, it is the meaning of existence.
But, at the back of every man's head, a question lingers: What is love? The question often gets responses which are poetic at best, and displays of sickening sentimentalism at worst. Oliver Wendell Holmes, the 19th century American poet, said, "Love is
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Miscellaneous (view all)
- Legalising Prostitution in Britain
- Public Services Unit 3, Citizenship
- child abuse and legislation
- Rules To Explain The Importance When Observing Children
- The Cockroach by Kevin Halligan
""Zoey. University Student.
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.