- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Examine the key choreographic developments of Richard Alston from 1966-1987.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Examine the key choreographic developments of Richard Alston from 1966-1987
Richard Alston (1948) started to study at Croydon College of arts in 1965 till 1967 studying fine arts and theatre design. His knowledge and interest in the artist and designer Robert Raushenberg encourages him to see Merce Cunningham Dance Company to perform. When visiting London he also saw Martha Graham Dance Company in 1967.
In 1967 he was inspired by dance and started to take ballet lessons and in 1967 went to London School of Contemporary Dance, as one of the first fall time students. From 1967 to 1970 he studied Graham's modern dance technique, ballet, tai chi, Cunningham technique and historical dance. Influences of historical dance are present in Pulcinella in the third scene when partner work is present. He also found that he was more in tune with Cunningham technique and the style of movement, this was also a time when the art world was undergoing a period of upheaval. Old conventions and modernism were challenged by new experimental forms, which favoured fragmenting the dance, juxtaposing ideas to make college of different meanings and engaging the intellect of spectators. Alston's interest in Cunningham links
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Music (view all)
- AS Composition Commentary. I chose to write my piece for a ...
- Annotation of Composition
- Concert review. I saw the University of Toronto Symphony Orc...
- Prose Commentary: "The Dragon Can't Dance".
- Word Painting in the Song Cycle Winterreise by Schubert
- Wagner's Tristan und Isolde - How does the quote above come ...
- How does Beethoven make Effective and Imaginative use of the...
- Analysis of the Exposition of the First Movement of Beethove...
- The history of the band "The Police".
- In this assignment I will be analysing the use of sound desi...
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student