- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
In the poem "Piano and Drums" by Gabriel Okara, Okara shows the contrasts between the past life and the modern world. Some aspects in his poem date back before the beginning of civilization
The first 200 words of this essay...
Piano and Drums Essay
In the poem "Piano and Drums" by Gabriel Okara, Okara shows the contrasts between the past life and the modern world. Some aspects in his poem date back before the beginning of civilization and other aspects are of the current day and age.
The theme of the poem is the effect that the music has on the poet. The first stanza is the poet's response to hearing the jungle drums. So we can say that he thinks of them as a primitive instrument and he believes that there is a certain amount of violence in the rapid beating of the drums.
Then in the third stanza, when he hears the piano, the poet is telling us the effect that this piano has on him. We can see that he thinks of the piano as a complex instrument. The poet also sees the piano as a different culture from the drums. He sees he complexities in the piano. He uses technical words to show this complexity "coaxing diminuendo".
The poem consists of four stanzas. The first three stanzas are telling us the story and
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Music (view all)
- The Importance of licensing and royalties in the music indus...
- The Development of the Orchestra
- Critical evaluation - In the Snack Bar Edwin Morgan.
- Choreography Programme Notes.
- Annotation of Composition
- Analysis of the Exposition of the First Movement of Beethove...
- The history of the band "The Police".
- In this assignment I will be analysing the use of sound desi...
- Analysis of Mozart's Symphony No. 41 1st Movement
- Music Analysis. "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" ...
""Sabreena, England. A Level Student. Biology and Chemistry.
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.