- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
In What Respects Is NAM 4 typical of Romantic Music? Wagner.
The first 200 words of this essay...
In What Respects Is NAM 4 typical of Romantic Music?
Wagner was born in Leipzig, in Germany, and studied music art and aesthetics at the University. Taking a large part in the German revolution of 1849 he was forced to live in exile until 1860, mostly in Zurich. It was here that he began his work on Tristan and Isolde in 1857, finishing the work in Lucerne in 1859.
Wagner was an important figure in opera and believed in Gesamtkunstwerk-all the arts working together. His operas were taken normally from German mythology. His works were performed during the Third Reich and was apparently Hitler's favourite music.
The Tristan Prelude is a crucial romantic work which push the boundaries of tonality to their limit. Wagner incorporated Berlioz subtle and inventive use of the orchestra, which he expanded still further, and his harmonic and structural practice is more advanced.
Leitmotifs form a large part of this piece. These are very short phrases which are associated with specific emotions, such as grief and desire. The Tristan progression is a special leitmotif because instead of portraying an emotion, it portrays a person, Tristan. In this leitmotif the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Music (view all)
- The Importance of licensing and royalties in the music indus...
- The Development of the Orchestra
- Critical evaluation - In the Snack Bar Edwin Morgan.
- Choreography Programme Notes.
- Annotation of Composition
- Analysis of the Exposition of the First Movement of Beethove...
- The history of the band "The Police".
- In this assignment I will be analysing the use of sound desi...
- Analysis of Mozart's Symphony No. 41 1st Movement
- Music Analysis. "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" ...
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.