- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Performance 1 - I have chosen to study Evanescence - Hello, All About Eve - Scarlet and Joy Division - The Eternal.
The first 200 words of this essay...
I have chosen to study Evanescence - Hello, All About Eve - Scarlet and Joy Division - The Eternal. These pieces are all from the gothic genre yet each has individual features that make them very different from each other. This can provoke people into believing that they lie more comfortably into a sub-genre, for example; gothic rock, gothic folk etc. The main features of gothic music are hard to pinpoint because of this diversity however they regularly include melancholy lyrics, unusual vocals created by singers who are not accepted into the "charts", often with drawn out notes and, more recently, female fronted.
This is certainly true of Evanescence and All About Eve however, Joy Division were the most ground breaking band in the history of the sub-culture according to the publications of the time e.g. NME. Their lead singer Ian Curtis is well known for his on stage performance where he often looked possessed by devils. His vocals range from a fast, tenor, atmospheric sound to a steady, bass, haunting sound as in The Eternal. The mix of their songs causes the bass and drums to be very prevalent
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Music (view all)
- The Importance of licensing and royalties in the music indus...
- The Development of the Orchestra
- Critical evaluation - In the Snack Bar Edwin Morgan.
- Choreography Programme Notes.
- Annotation of Composition
- Analysis of the Exposition of the First Movement of Beethove...
- The history of the band "The Police".
- In this assignment I will be analysing the use of sound desi...
- Analysis of Mozart's Symphony No. 41 1st Movement
- Music Analysis. "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" ...
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.