- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Appraisal of a shoulder injury.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Appraisal of a shoulder injury
1.Anatomy and physiology of the shoulder.
The shoulder joint consists of the head of the humerus which articulates with a shallow socket in the upper part of the scapula the joint is defined as a typical ball and socket joint. A number of muscles attach and run around the joint to provide movement and stability the main structures of the shoulder can be seen in figures 1.1a and 1.1b
Figures 1.1a (left) and 1.1b; (right) main structures at the shoulder joint
In addition to the structures above the shoulder joint has a number of other muscles surrounding and attaching to it. These include the biceps, pectoralis major, latissimus dorsi and a group of muscles termed the rotator cuffs. The rotator cuffs are the subscapularis, supraspinatus, infraspinatus and teres minor muscles which cross the joint to insert into the humerus, thereby also helping to stabilise the shoulder joint. The tendons from the rotator cuff surrounds the capsule and blends with it
Marieb (1998). The number of muscles and their associated tendons surrounding the shoulder offer the major form of support to the joint from the anterior aspect. A further
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Anatomy & Physiology (view all)
- The Body In Action Assignment. Energy systems.
- The Effects of Exercise on the Pulmonary Ventilation Rate.
- In this assignment I will explain and analyse the initial re...
- Health & fitness essay
- Cardiovascular responses When or before exercising, a numbe...
- Anatomy For BTEC Sport - bones and muscles.
- Arousal Theories. Arousal is defined as a perception of ant...
- Anatomy and physiology for sport and exercise
- Muscles in the Human Body
- Describing the Muscular System. Specific Exercises for each...
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.