- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Personality and Motivation in Sport
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Physical Education and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Personality is a mixture of a person's traits and characteristics which make them different from everyone else.
Sports performers personalities' may widely vary or be very similar. When describing their personality, just listing characteristics is not always 100% accurate. This is because their characteristics may be different when not playing sports. For example, Eric Cantona may only be aggressive when on the football pitch and not in his everyday life.
Because of this, Hollander then designed a structure of personality which was split into 3 layers:
1. Psychological core - true beliefs and values
2. Typical responses - normal response to a situation.
3. Role-related behaviour - response is affected by the social environment the person is in.
These can also be shown on a diagram like this:
Structure of personality example - Theo Walcott.
Another way in which sports psychologists differentiate between sports personalities is with the trait approach. Two psychologists, Cattell and Eyesnck,
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Acquiring, Developing & Performance Skill (view all)
- BTEC Sport 6 week training program
- Skill Acquisition Laboratory Report 1: "Open and Closed...
- Describe 'Fitts and Posner's' phases of learning and explain...
- Analysing my rugby skills and elite players.
- Accurate identification of Weaknesses - football.
- Define personality and how personality affects performance
- A Self-Reflective Evaluation of a Paired Coaching Performanc...
- Aerobic Endurance and Strength Training Programmes
- In this task I am going to name one method of training which...
- Part practice can beneficial for cognitive learners, the ski...
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student