- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
The first 200 words of this essay...
The United States of America is known throughout the world as the benchmark of a free society. America believes in a complex philosophy of liberalism. The question is where did this complex idea come from? Well one idea is that it was inherited from the early settlers of the American Colonies and it has been transforming ever since and is now the form we see today. My purpose is to prove to an audience that Puritan Theology and culture, Anti-Federalist arguments, and Federalist political thought, have all been profound influences on this idea of liberalism.
"By liberalism we mean that Americans tend to look first to the individual as the source of value rather than to an imposed dogmatic creed or hierarchy" (American Political Thinking). According to the way we look at liberalism in America today, there are two strands of it. The first strand is called "Classical Liberalism." This is the idea that peoples' property rights, their protection and a free economic market are more important than human welfare. For quite a long time, this was the only type of liberalism there was, until many people began to think that human rights
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Political Philosophy (view all)
- 'The history of socialism had been marked by a retreat from ...
- Nigeria Country Study
- 'Aristotle's theory of the four causes is convincing' Discus...
- "Trait theory is better at describing than explaining p...
- Ethos, Pathos & Logos in Dr. Martin Luther King's "...
- Is socialism a relevant ideology in 2012?
- Why has the concept of humanitarian intervention provoked so...
- Explain the Impact of Globalisation
- Nationalism is inherently expansionist and destructive - dis...
- Evaluate The Circumstances In Which Pluralism Will Develop
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.