- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Analysis of Willie Stark's Life as a Politician.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Goodness and Badness:
Analysis of Willie Stark's Life as a Politician
Can it be right to do wrong? Can we have a square circle? Can we move backwards and forwards at the same time? During Plato's time (c. 429-347 B.C.) a long discussion had begun and carried throughout the Middle Ages that affirmed that the ruler ought to embody noble ideals and values. This tradition focuses on the virtues of justice and mercy as essential for good government. However, during the Renaissance period the author Niccolo Machiavelli turned away from these traditions and considers in The Prince what is necessary to be successful in a corrupt world. Machiavelli proclaims in his book The Prince, "A man who wishes to make a profession in everything must necessarily come to grief among so many who are not good. Therefore, it is necessary...to learn how not to be good, and to use this knowledge and not use it, according to the necessity of the case". Essentially, it is the situation at the moment that determines which actions are necessary. For Machiavelli, the goal is success, not the virtue or vice of the act. He does not advocate that the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Political Philosophy (view all)
- Assess the advantages and disadvantages of direct democracy.
- Analyse the main strengths and weaknesses of Marx's sociolog...
- Realism, idealism and neoliberalism
- Are Judges Politicians In Disguise?
- Power and Politics in Organizations: Public and Private Sect...
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.