- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
"Criticallyevaluate the Role of the Commissioner for Judicial Appointments."
The first 200 words of this essay...
"Critically evaluate the Role of the Commissioner for Judicial Appointments."
The commission was set up originally after Sir Leonard Peach was ordered to provide a report into how the proceedings of appointments for the judiciary and the Queen's Counsel was made. The main aim of the report was to evaluate the procedures into how judicial and Queen's counsel appointments are made. In particular the effectiveness of the criteria given and the procedures for the selection of the best candidates, the safeguards against discrimination against race or gender and the way in which candidates are assessed with regards to the criteria.
Lord Irvine the current Lord Chancellor before appointment into office had strongly criticised the so-called secretive and outdated system and had called for an independent appointments commission. Now that he has been appointed into his current position, the independent commission for judicial appointments set up does not actually appoints the judiciary but instead monitors the Lord Chancellor's team that does. In a damning report, it was found that the appointments system was said to be slow, unsystematic and unprofessional. It also found that a number of senior judges and leaders of the legal profession did not provide
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
European Union (view all)
- Manchester United - Brief History
- The Institution of the European Union and Theories.
- Membership to the EU and Loss of Sovereignty
- Back ground information about the EU
- To what extent is it fair to describe Britain as an Awkward ...
- What was the original purpose of NATO?
- Types of Democracy and Ways of Participating.
- To what extent can China be classed as a superpower?
- Discuss the view that there is little difference between the...
- Why are Asymmetrical wars, such as Iraq and Afghanistan so d...
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.