- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Do the strengths of the US constitution outweigh its weaknesses?
The first 200 words of this essay...
Do the strengths of the US constitution outweigh its weaknesses? (45)
The US constitution is a document dating back to 17th December 1787, which effectively sets out the rules by which America must be governed and the citizens must abide by. However is this old document that has only had 15 amendments in the last 200 years able to stand up to the challenges that the 20th Century had to offer and the 21st Century is offering, or alternatively do these challenges show weaknesses within the constitution that outweigh its strengths?
The US constitution is codified meaning that the 'rules' by which Americans must adhere to are collated in a single document that it is written. This is the opposite to Britain for example who operate an uncodified constitution meaning that certain laws will be scattered around in several documents or may not even be written down. However is the codified constitution a strength or weakness to America? A strength of a codified is that citizens are able to see their rights via the bill of rights; this means that the Government can't simply alter citizen's rights unless they have a super majority which is exceptionally unlikely. However
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
United States (view all)
- Lowering the Legal Drinking Age In New York State
- The power to persuade: a term coined by a man named Neudstad...
- Are gun control laws popular in the United States?
- Federalism essay
- Presidential Powers
- Are Civil Liberties and rights better Protected In the US or...
- The war in Afghanistan began on October 7th 2001. The primar...
- How and why did the US electorate become polarised into the ...
- The advantages of primary elections far outweigh their disad...
- Assess the view that the US Constitution often ensures limit...
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.