- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Economic and political integration between the member states of the European Union means that these countries have to take joint decisions on many matters. So they have developed common policies in a very wide range of fields - from agriculture to culture
- Essay length: 6582 words
- Submitted: 04/01/2006
The first 200 words of this essay...
Europe has always shown instability as countries have always fought and invented each other. Many European countries were convinced that the only way to secure peace between countries was to unite them economically and politically. On the 19th September 1946 Winston Churchill calls for Untied States of Europe. This was seen as response to what already America was doing. Four years later on the 9th May 1950 French Foreign Minister Robert Schuman proposes creation of European Coal and Steel Community (ECSC). Countries like Belgium, the Federal Republic of Germany, France, Italy, Luxembourg and the Netherlands ('the Six') sign Treaty establishing European Coal and Steel Community (Treaty of Paris) in 18th April 1951. This cooperation was going extremely well and on the 1st of January 1958 in Italy, Rome the Treaty of Rome was formed, six countries signed the treaty setting up European Economic Community (EEC) and European Atomic Energy Community (Euratom). Another treaty was signed by France and Federal Republic of Germany called the Treaty of Friendship (Elysee Treaty) in 22nd January 1963. The member states were very pleased on how things were running, further more they removed trade barriers between them and forming a "common market". In
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
European Union (view all)
- To what extent has the European Union been successful in &qu...
- Assess the effects of imperialism on European countries duri...
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of EU enlargement?
- Has the creation of the Single European Market been a succes...
- The Institution of the European Union and Theories.
- What was the original purpose of NATO?
- Types of Democracy and Ways of Participating.
- To what extent can China be classed as a superpower?
- Discuss the view that there is little difference between the...
- Why are Asymmetrical wars, such as Iraq and Afghanistan so d...
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.