- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Explain the main features of Marx’ theory of history.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Explain the main features of Marx' theory of history
The opening words of the Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx and
Friedrich Engels read `the history of all hitherto existing society is
the history of class struggles'. Marx believed he had discovered the
fact that classes were linked to historical periods and the nature if
production. He believed that a series of class struggles and
revolutions would eventually lead to a classless society. According
to A. Heywood, Marx' philosophy on history `outlines why capitalism is
doomed and why socialism is destined to replace it'.
Marx' theory of history goes further than this however, as Marx said;
`the philosophers have only interpreted the world, the point however
is to change it'. He therefore believed his work to be `scientific'.
Engels declared that he had uncovered the `laws' of historical and
social development in his theory of `historical materialism'.
Historical materialism held that material circumstances were
fundamental to all forms of social and historical development. It
reflected the belief that the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Political Philosophy (view all)
- Douglas McGregor's Theory X and Theory Y(1906-1964)
- Why did Stalin make the "Great Turn"?
- A Study of Carl Rogers' Theory of Personality
- How and to what extent has modern liberalism departed from t...
- Notes on John Stuart Mill's On Liberty
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.