- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Government & Politics. The Prime Minister.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Government & Politics
1. What Factors Influence The Prime Ministers Appointment of Ministers?
In 1994 Brazier wrote "The Cabinet largely selects its own members". The idea was that the PM really has very little control over who is chosen as a minister.
Many factors have to be considered before the PM chooses his ministers and this will have to be a gruelling task as these people will help run the country under the Prime Minister.
In selecting the cabinet, the Prime Minister is engaged in two tasks:
* Selecting the senior ministers such as Chancellor of the Exchequer and Foreign Secretary who will effectively sit in the cabinet in high office because of the roles they play.
* And constructing a team who will lead the government, the formation of which is crucial for any Prime Minister.
Any form of political experience is crucial. Prime ministers tend to appoint successful ministers from a previous regime. For example Jack Cunningham was given a Cabinet role in 1997 as he was the only leading labour figure with Government experience in the 1974-9 Government. With experience comes proficiency in Parliamentary debate in
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
United Kingdom (view all)
- Explain the arguments for and against introducing a codified...
- To what extent does the prime minister dominate the UK polit...
- Should the UK have a codified constitution?
- How effective is Parliament in checking Executive Power?
- The relationship between the Prime Minister and Cabinet.
- How Effective Is Parliament At Controlling And Influencing T...
- Explain the arguments in favour of lowering the voting age
- How powerful is the Prime Minister?
- The UK Constitution is no longer fit for purpose. Discuss
- How effective are backbencher MPs?
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.