- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Has the Conservative party abandoned Thacherism?
The first 200 words of this essay...
Has the Conservative party abandoned Thatcherism?
For eleven years Margaret Thatcher was Britain's Prime Minister. During this time her style of governing was anything but harmonious. This style and the policies that came to be associated with them came to be known as Thatcherism. The main political goal of the Thatcherism was to reduce the role of state in the economy and public services strongly believing in individualism. Each person should be directly responsible for their own wellbeing and providing for family members. Thatcher supported the idea of self-reliance, where the state had very little to do with ruling over businesses. For this matter her government introduced the free market, privatization, cuts in direct taxation and reduced the size of the welfare state.
As mentioned above Thatcher believed very strongly in the freedom of the individual and the removal of the state from the market system. So her government started a series of massive privatisations in 1981 with British Telecom. Thatcher encouraged ordinary people not only to own the companies they worked for but also to own the houses they live in. Huge numbers of council houses were sold to their tenants and free market system was established.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
United Kingdom (view all)
- Explain the arguments for and against introducing a codified...
- Assess the Strengths and Weaknesses of the British Constitut...
- Increase in Prime Ministerial power in recent years?
- The relationship between the Prime Minister and Cabinet.
- Compare and Contrast the different styles of recent British ...
- How Effective Is Parliament At Controlling And Influencing T...
- Explain the arguments in favour of lowering the voting age
- How powerful is the Prime Minister?
- The UK Constitution is no longer fit for purpose. Discuss
- How effective are backbencher MPs?
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.