- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
How might the use of more proportional system affect the political process in uk?
The first 200 words of this essay...
How might the use of more proportional voting system affect the political process in the UK?
The type of the voting system is important because the different methods of voting can produce different winners. For example, in winner-take all voting systems, only the candidate supported by the majority or plurality of voters in the borough wins seat in government. However, in proportional systems, many different candidates and parties win seats in a borough, and so many more voters win representation. UK uses a range of voting systems but in Westminster it is used the First past the post system.
FPTP is a plurality system in which a candidate needs just one vote more than the others to win. It produces strong single-party governments, it is simple and easy to understand and has been proven to work as used for General Elections. However it has some disadvantages. It crates too many wasted votes, as 70% of constituency votes go to parties that do not win and the marginal seats become too important as they put Labour and Conservatives on the lead. Also the MP's cannot represent everybody from the constituency because they too are supporters of one or other
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
United Kingdom (view all)
- The importance of democracy
- Blair as a Presidential style Leader.
- Outline two differences between a referendum and an election...
- Analyse the main ways in which the government have sought to...
- How democratic is the Labour party's organisation? & Doe...
- How Effective Is Parliament At Controlling And Influencing T...
- Explain the arguments in favour of lowering the voting age
- How powerful is the Prime Minister?
- The UK Constitution is no longer fit for purpose. Discuss
- How effective are backbencher MPs?
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.
""Zoey. University Student.