- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The first 200 words of this essay...
To what extent are the President and his Cabinet checked by Congress and the Supreme Court?
"The President of America is not the Government of the US" - Bowles
The powers of the President are defined and limited by the Constitution. Checks and Balances are part of this Constitution, and they reinforce the aim that no one person or group can gain too much power.
The Government of the USA is divided into 3 main sections: The President with executive power, Congress (including HoR and Senate) and finally the Supreme Court with the Judicial function. Although each of theses three branches work separately, they all have Checks and Balances against each other, In particular the President is checked by Congress and the Supreme Court in areas such as: Budgets and Judicial Review.
As well as the President, Congress plays an important role in the decision making.
E.g. if the President wanted to introduce a new law, the bill would have to be introduced by a member of congress and work its way through the legislative process. This allows congress to review and scrutinise proposals. However, the President may bypass congress by issuing Executive Orders (an
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
United States (view all)
- "The Main Difference Between the UK And US Constitution...
- Explain the advantages and disadvantages of the process of a...
- Are supreme court justices politicians in disguise?
- Using examples, explain the limitations on the Supreme Court...
- Invisible Primaries, USA.
- Are Civil Liberties and rights better Protected In the US or...
- The war in Afghanistan began on October 7th 2001. The primar...
- How and why did the US electorate become polarised into the ...
- The advantages of primary elections far outweigh their disad...
- Assess the view that the US Constitution often ensures limit...
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.