- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Should the UK adopt Proportional Representation?
The first 200 words of this essay...
SHOULD FPTP ELECTORAL SYSTEM BE REPLACED BY PROPORTIONAL REPRESENTATION?
Although FPTP's position in rank of the best electoral systems in UK has been relatively shaken due to its failure in recent General Elections I believe that First Past The Post is the most simple, clear, stable and reliable electoral system. It is argued that proportional representation would ensure that all political parties would be represented in accordance to amount of votes that they win. This essay will justify whether Parliament should propose an alternative electoral system which would guarantee establishment of proportional representation in UK.
Recently, First Past the Post has been severely criticised due to its unfairness. It has been suggested that proportional representation offers a wide range of fairly aspects allowing equally smaller and new-established parties as well as those well-developed and popular. For example the final results of Single Transferable Vote retain a fair degree of proportionality, and the fact that in most actual examples of STV the multi-member districts are relatively small means that a geographical link between voter and representative is retained. Another example might be List system where parties are able to use the lists to promote the advancement of
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
United Kingdom (view all)
- Explain the arguments for and against introducing a codified...
- Assess the Strengths and Weaknesses of the British Constitut...
- To what extent does the prime minister dominate the UK polit...
- Increase in Prime Ministerial power in recent years?
- The relationship between the Prime Minister and Cabinet.
- How Effective Is Parliament At Controlling And Influencing T...
- Explain the arguments in favour of lowering the voting age
- How powerful is the Prime Minister?
- The UK Constitution is no longer fit for purpose. Discuss
- How effective are backbencher MPs?
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.