- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The system of government in the United Kingdom (UK) is very different to many other countries.
The first 200 words of this essay...
The system of government in the United Kingdom (UK) is very different to many other countries. There are only a few other countries besides the UK (New Zealand and Israel are the others) which do not have a 'written' constitution. Due to this lack of a written document the UK looks for its sources of constitution in (amongst other things) conventions.
First, it may be necessary to define what we mean when we say that the UK does not have as such, a written constitution and whether this means that the UK has a constitution at all. This type of approach is known as abstract (as opposed to concrete) and many have attempted to define and justify that despite this the UK still has a constitution despite it not being in a written form. One such definition is that a constitution is:
'the whole system of government of a country, the collection of rules which establish and regulate or govern the government.'1
Judging from this definition it would appear that the UK does have a constitution, as a constitution does not necessarily have to be in a written form. When considering this 'unwritten' UK constitution it
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
United Kingdom (view all)
- Explain the arguments for and against introducing a codified...
- Assess the Strengths and Weaknesses of the British Constitut...
- To what extent does the prime minister dominate the UK polit...
- Compare and Contrast the different styles of recent British ...
- Increase in Prime Ministerial power in recent years?
- How Effective Is Parliament At Controlling And Influencing T...
- Explain the arguments in favour of lowering the voting age
- How powerful is the Prime Minister?
- The UK Constitution is no longer fit for purpose. Discuss
- How effective are backbencher MPs?
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.