- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Three main organs of Government
The first 200 words of this essay...
1) Three main organs of Government
The British Government functions through three bodies:
In America all three branches are systematically split between the Executive (the president), the legislative (Congress) and the Judiciary (Supreme Court).
The British Legislature consists of two 'Houses' of Parliament. This bicameral structure is dived into an elected 'lower' chamber called the House of Commons and an unelected 'upper' chamber called the House of Commons and an elected upper chamber called the House of Lords.
The House of Commons is directly elected by the people on the basis of single member constituencies.
The House of Lords consists of a mixture of hereditary peers, life peers, bishops and law Lords.
The last two categories are the Church of England bishops who by law are given automatic representation as leaders of the country's official established church and senior justices who have traditionally been given seats in the Lords so that when necessary hear cases brought to the Lord as the final court of appeal.
The Role and Function of Legislature.
The legislature is responsible
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
United Kingdom (view all)
- How effective is the British Constitution in protecting the ...
- To What Extent Is The UK Democratic?
- What are the main features of representative democracy? In w...
- Health Inequalities in UK
- How successful have the UK constitutional reforms been since...
- Using your own knowledge as well as the extract, explain why...
- Recent election results show the need for electoral reform. ...
- "Individual party members have little or no power withi...
- The UK would benefit greatly from the wider use of referendu...
- To what extent is there a democratic deficit in the UK? [25 ...
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.