- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Classroom discipline - how has it changed?
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Developmental Psychology and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Classroom discipline - how had it changed? - Collette Reynolds
School discipline had changed in many ways over the years and probably the main change is the abolition of corporal punishment in the early 1980's.
Before then much of the inappropriate behaviour within school would be dealt with this way, and it could be argued that this was sometimes used too often and not as a last resort which is what would have been expected. Many of those children, who are adults today, will have vivid memories of corporal punishment and this will sometimes be the most memorable aspect of their school life, rather than the things that they learned.
This of course will not apply to everyone, but the old fashioned discipline methods involved a lot of fear and intimidation, children were treated strictly and grouped together as a whole. No allowances were made for possible reasons for inappropriate behaviour, anything inappropriate would be dealt with seriously. There were strict rules to be followed, and the children would learn never to question teachers' methods, this would even reach parents too and teachers were held up with the same kind of respect that
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Developmental Psychology (view all)
- An investigation of self-descriptions based on data collecte...
- Outline and evaluate psychological explanations of schizophr...
- Psychology is the study of mind, emotion and behaviour
- Theories of Human Development - Stages of Development
- Supporting children's mathematical, communication, language ...
- Outline and evaluate research into cross-cultural variations...
- Outline one cross-cultural study into the development of per...
- Psychology Controversy essay, Nature Vs Nurture PY4
- Self Concept - With Positive and Negative Examples
- Outline & Evaluate Research Into Attachment
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.
""Chris Mckellar. Media Studies, IT, English. A Level Student.