- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Compare and contrast the main approaches - Biological and Behaviourist, biological and cognitive, Psychodynamic and Behaviourist.
- Essay length: 4162 words
- Submitted: 26/10/2011
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Psychology and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Compare and Contrast the Psychodynamic and Cognitive approaches in terms of similarities and differences. [12 Marks]
The cognitive and psychodynamic approaches have many similarities and differences; these include debates in nature and nurture, the usefulness of these approaches, deterministic and scientific/non scientific.
The psychodynamic approach takes into account both nature and nurture, however the cognitive approach has failed to recognise the influence of nature and nurture. Freud claimed that adult personality is the product of innate drives (nature) and childhood experiences (nurture). These innate drives include the structure of the personality, Id, ego and superego as well as the psychosexual development every child passes through. If a child does not pass through these processes successfully it could lead to abnormalities in behaviour. The cognitive approach has carried out research into intelligence but has not looked at the influence of genes in its research or environmental factors (such as wealth) that could influence intelligence. Therefore this clearly indicates that both approaches are different in terms of nature and nurture.
The cognitive approach is useful and has been applied successfully in therapy. As one of the core assumptions of the cognitive approach is that mental processes
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
The Psychology of Individual Differences (view all)
- Compare 2 models of abnormal behaviour in terms of their vie...
- Psychology the factors of Smoking
- Outline and evaluate psychological explanations of anorexia
- Evaluation of Freud's little Hans study.
- Discuss two or more biological therapies for schizophrenia
- Accurately describe the four definitions of abnormality we h...
- EVALUATE THE MEDICAL MODEL AND THE BEHAVIOURAL MODEL OF ABNO...
- Discuss psychological therapies for obsessive compulsive dis...
- Discuss the behavioural approach to explaining psychological...
- Case Study for psychology. The boy who couldnt stop washing
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.