- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Conformity and the Individual in the two texts The Wave and Dead Poet's Society.
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Social Psychology and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Conformity and the Individual
Two texts we have studied this semester are The Wave and Dead Poet's Society. Both of these texts explore the concept of Conformity and Individuality by putting average people in a place where they feel pressured to act upon something. They have two choices, to do the same as everyone else and conform, or to be different and rebel. In its extreme form conformity is the loss of individuality and free will. An extreme conformist is unable to make a decision for him/herself.
An extreme individual has to be different no-matter what, this means nothing he/she does can be the same as anything else. Thus the extreme individual is little different from the conformist in that he/she loses his/her choice as the ego takes over, thereby losing their freewill. It's like a see-saw. You start at the pivot where everyone is equal. Walk towards either end (conformity or individuality) and you begin to tilt towards one side or the other making it hard to walk backwards, however if you walk too far in either direction you'll hit the ground.
The Wave explores the idea of conformity through the use and embellishment of a
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Social Psychology (view all)
- Describe and evaluate psychological research into the dissol...
- It is often claimed that scientific results must be replicab...
- SA - Milgram - 1963
- Discuss one or more theories into the maintenance of relatio...
- Describe and evaluate research into the formation and mainte...
- Psychology AQA: Discuss one or more social psychological exp...
- Discuss research into conformity - notes on Jenness, Asch , ...
- Outline ways in which psychologists have dealt with ethical ...
- Milgram, Hoffling and Zimbardo. Critically Consider the Psy...
- Outline and evaluate 2 theories of relationship formation
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'