- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Describe and evaluate models of memory.
The first 200 words of this essay...
DISCRIBE AND EVALUATE MODELS OF MEMORY
What is memory? Memory is involved in all aspects of our lives, is it a cognitive thinking process or a way of retaining information or is it a number of connected stores or even actual information retained. According to Reber (1985), it is possibly all of theses. Memory has not been defined as a single process or fact and several theories exist about its nature, character and structure.
We have vast amounts of information stored in our memory systems which we are able to access quickly and effortlessly, this implies that knowledge stored must be highly organised to allow us to retrieve the appropriate information for a given situation. This organising will be determined by the way that information is encoded into memory. The way the knowledge is organised will determine the type of process required to access that information in the future.
Atkinson and Shiffrin (1969) suggested that memory comprised of three separate stores. The sensory memory store, the short-term memory and the long term-memory each store has a specific and relatively inflexible function. This was called the multi-store model.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Cognitive Psychology (view all)
- Memory.This experiment studies the effects that organised an...
- 'Organisation in Memory'.
- Describe and evaluate at least two theories of forgetting.
- Describe and Evaluate the MultiStore Model of Memory
- Describe and evaluate one alternative to the multistore mode...
- Explanations of disorders of memory PY4
- Research into memory and forgetting has found evidence that ...
- Alternatives to the multi store model of memory.
- Outline the cognitive explanation of depression
- Psychology Describe and Evaluate the mulitstore model of me...
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.