- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Describe two factors that influence forgetting in short-term memory (STM).
The first 200 words of this essay...
Tom Lowe Psychology homework - 21/10/05
(a) Describe two factors that influence forgetting in short-term memory (STM).
One of the factors that influence forgetting is because the information no longer exists in memory, and is therefore no longer available for recall. The second influencing factor of forgetting in short term memory is that the material cannot be found, and can therefore not be recalled, this is known as 'Cue Dependent forgetting'.
(b) Describe the procedures and findings of one study that has investigated the capacity of memory.
Jacobs (1887) aimed to investigate the capacity of memory. To do this he presented his participants with a random sequence of digits or letters, and he then asked the participants to repeat the items back in the order that they were read.
Jacobs found that the average number of items that were correctly recalled was between five and nine, and he also found that digits were recalled better than letters. He also found that the number of correctly recalled items increased with age.
(c) Outline the finding(s) of one study of flashbulb memories and give one criticism of this
One study aiming to investigate
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Cognitive Psychology (view all)
- Outline the multi store model of memory with evidence to sup...
- Outline and Evaluate the Multi Store Model of Memory.
- A study by Loftus and Palmer (1974) into the accuracy of Eye...
- The Memory Process. This paper will describe a memory test u...
- Describe and evaluate the Multi-store Model of memory.
- How would you define psychology?
- Evaluate 3 Approaches to treating Mental Disorders: Psychody...
- Describe and Evaluate Research by E.Loftus into Eye Witness ...
- Outline and evaluate the behavioural explanation of psychopa...
- Explanations of disorders of memory PY4
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student