- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Development and variety of attachments.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Development and variety of attachments
Attachment is the close emotional relationship between two people, which involves a feeling of well-being and a desire to be close. Although attachments occur throughout your life, the attachment made between an infant and caregiver is particularly important. Development of attachments
Infants have an innate ability to seek interactions with other individuals. This is known as sociability and is integral to the phases in the development of attachment (Scaffer, 1996).
The table below summarises the four stages of this process:
Phase of attachment:
Characteristics of phase:
At about 6 weeks, infants begin to treat other humans differently from objects by smiling and gurgle at them.
Indiscriminate attachment phase
Infant can distinguish between familiar and unfamiliar people but is quite happy to be comforted by anyone.
Discriminate attachment phase
Infant distinguishes between carers and strangers and exhibits distress or separation anxiety when left alone (they have developed object permanence) and may be fearful of the strangers.
Multiple attachment phase
Attachments develop with other people (for
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Developmental Psychology (view all)
- Describe processes for initiating, maintaining, developing a...
- Explain the principal psychological perspectives as applied ...
- Describe the main theoretical models of child abuse.(
- Outline and evaluate different types of attachment
- Discuss the effects of parenting style on children's develop...
- Outline and evaluate research into cross-cultural variations...
- Outline one cross-cultural study into the development of per...
- Psychology Controversy essay, Nature Vs Nurture PY4
- Self Concept - With Positive and Negative Examples
- Outline & Evaluate Research Into Attachment
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.