- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Discuss issues surrounding the classification and diagnosis of schizophrenia
The first 200 words of this essay...
Discuss issues surrounding the classification and diagnosis of schizophrenia.
The term reliability means that each time the classification systems are used (International Classification System for Diseases (ICD) and the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental disorders (DSM)) they should produce and provide the same outcome.
The reliability of the early editions of these two classifications were marked as inconsistent and the vagueness of the DSM led to very low reliability in diagnosis. Schizophrenia was more commonly diagnosed in the USA (80% of patients during the 1950s) than compared to England (at the same period - 20%).
However, ICD-10 and DSM-IV-TR have now become very similar, although there are two important differences between the classifications: the DSM requires symptoms to have been in evidence for a period of six months whilst ICD requires only one month. Secondly, the DSM is multi-axial, which means that various factors are taken into account before a diagnosis is made.
Although most researchers agree that DSM-IV-TR has improved reliability; Eysenks argues that the approaches to diagnosing schizophrenia have proved to be reasonably reliable. However his argument is that the reliability of the DSM in everyday usage may be lower than seen
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Physiological Psychology (view all)
- Discuss research into stress-related illness and the immune ...
- Outline and Evaluate 2 Biological Explanations of OCD
- To what extent does research support the link between stress...
- Sleep disorder - 'Insomnia'.
- Outline and evaluate two methods of stress management
- Outline and evaluate one psychological therapy for schizophr...
- Outline and Evaluate Research into Life Changes as a Source ...
- Describe and evaluate one or more biological explanations of...
- Notes for A2 Psychology Unit 3 Eating Behaviour The Role of ...
- A2 Psychology Unit 3 Eating Behaviour: Evolutionary Explanat...
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.