- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Discuss research into cultural variations in attachment
The first 200 words of this essay...
Discuss reaserch into cultural variations in attachment (12 marks)
Many different psychologists have carried out reaserch into cultural variations in attachment. Van Ijzendoor and Kroonenberg conducted a meta analysis using the findings of 32 different studdies into attachment. They found that in German infants were mostly avoidant and in Japan and Israel infants were more resistantly attached which shows a difference in attachment accross cultures. However, they also found out that the United States had the most securely attached infants which is a similarity as Ainsworth found that a secure attachment was the most common. Takahashi's reaserch also found a differencein attachment across cultures. Middle class Japanese infants and mothers were studdied. They showed high rates of insecure-resistant attachement, the opposit to what Ainsworth found. Grossman and Grossman also found that German infants were generally classified as insecurely attached which supports the idea that there are cultural variations in attachment because insecurely attached is usually the minority. Fox found a similarity in attachment across cultures by studdying children in a children's home. It was found that infants had a greater attachment to their mothers, despite spending most of their time with nurses. This supports the idea of monotropy and
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Developmental Psychology (view all)
- Discuss the effects of parenting style on children's develop...
- Describe processes for initiating, maintaining, developing a...
- Describe Five Different Types of Families
- Explain the principal psychological perspectives as applied ...
- PERSONALITY DISORDERS
- Outline and evaluate research into cross-cultural variations...
- Outline one cross-cultural study into the development of per...
- Psychology Controversy essay, Nature Vs Nurture PY4
- Self Concept - With Positive and Negative Examples
- Outline & Evaluate Research Into Attachment
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student