- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
disruption of attachment
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Psychology and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Discuss research into the disruption of attachment (12 Marks)
Attachment is essential for healthy social and emotional development. It is thought therefore that disruption of attachment might have a negative impact on social and emotional development. This disruption could occur if the infant is separated from his or her attachment figure. As Ainsworth showed in her 'Strange Situation' physical separation from a primary attachment figure is distressing. There are however degrees when physical separation is unavoidable.
In these instances psychologists have tried to study and analyse the situations in which subsequent emotional care could be hindered. Our first key study is brought forward in 1968-73 by psychologists Robertson and Robertson. The study was conducted on a 17 month old baby, who was placed in residential care whilst his mother went to undergo treatment in hospital.
A physical bond was existent as his father visited regularly however after two days of normal behaviour John gradually changed as he made determined effort to get attention from the nurses. This competition was found difficult as the nurses were always busy and the other children were more assertive. When a state of loneliness is apparent due
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Physiological Psychology (view all)
- Outline and Evaluate the biological model to Abnormality.
- Discuss research into stress-related illness and the immune ...
- Outline and evaluate one or more explanations for sleep diso...
- Outline and evaluate two social psychological explanations f...
- Outline and Evaluate 2 Biological Explanations of OCD
- Describe biological therapies for schizophrenia
- Research that has suggested a link between Stress and Person...
- Outline and Evaluate Psychological Stress Management Methods...
- Discuss the Biological Approach to Psychopathology
- Outline and evaluate research into short term stressors
""Sabreena, England. A Level Student. Biology and Chemistry.
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.