- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Do pre information affect impression formation
The first 200 words of this essay...
When we meet someone for the first time what information do we use to help us decide what that person is like? They may shake hands, smile, and look at us. They may be dressed in a certain way, speak with an accent or remind us of someone as judgements are made on very little information. All this information is used, more or less effectively to help us in our impression formation. However there are circumstances when we get it wrong and unconscious cues or biases result in misjudgements of others.
A theory was put forward by Asch (1946) in a series of investigations that saw him varying one trait within a set of traits, and then gaining a record of the final impressions. An analysis was then made addressing whether or not these varied traits had any effect on the final impressions. Asch believed that the final impressions would vary according to the presence of a different central trait. This would suggest that all traits that are given to the participants are combined into a single image of the hypothetical person in question. Asch's experiment was also further validated by a more 'naturalistic' replication by Kelley
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
The Psychology of Individual Differences (view all)
- The contents of this essay will explain different psychologi...
- Compare and contrast the main approaches - Biological and B...
- Discuss Psychological Explanations of Schizophrenia
- Discuss two or more biological therapies for schizophrenia
- Explain current ethical guidelines for counsellors and super...
- Accurately describe the four definitions of abnormality we h...
- EVALUATE THE MEDICAL MODEL AND THE BEHAVIOURAL MODEL OF ABNO...
- Discuss psychological therapies for obsessive compulsive dis...
- Discuss the behavioural approach to explaining psychological...
- Case Study for psychology. The boy who couldnt stop washing
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.