- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Explanations of anorexia nervosa
The first 200 words of this essay...
explanations of anorexia
. The biological explanations of anorexia are interesting but inconclusive. One attempt hasfocused on genetic factors - with ambiguous results. Holland et al. (1988) found thataround 56% of identical (MZ) twins are concordant for thedisorder, compared with 5%for DZ twins; Hsu (1990), after an extensive literature review, found a 47% concordancerate for (DZ) twins and 10% rate for non-identical (DZ) twins. However, the fact thatrelatives of anorexics run a higher risk than the general population of also becominganorexic does not, according to Frude (1998), suggest that a firm genetic link for anorexiacan be inferred. Instead, the shared family environment may account for these findings.MZ twins are often discordant for the condition & genetic explanations offer no practical
possibilities for treatment.
Kaye et al. (1988) suggests that a dysfunctioning hypothalmus may offer a partial
explanation for anorexia. The lateral hypothalamus (LH) produces hunger & the
ventromedial hypothalamus (VH) depresses hunger. The hypothalamus regulates hungersensation and instigates the eating impulse, however, animal studies have shown thatwhen the hypothalamus is in some way damaged, this process is disrupted. One theory isthat a reduction of a neurotransmitter called norepinephrine (epinephrine is a synonym ofadrenalin) can
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Physiological Psychology (view all)
- Discuss issues surrounding the classification and diagnosis ...
- Outline and evaluate two social psychological explanations f...
- Classification and Diagnosis of Depression
- Biological Explanations of Addiction
- Physical and Psychological Changes 2.
- Describe biological therapies for schizophrenia
- Research that has suggested a link between Stress and Person...
- Outline and Evaluate Psychological Stress Management Methods...
- Discuss the Biological Approach to Psychopathology
- Outline and evaluate research into short term stressors
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.